Sunday, September 17, 2006

2 weeks old...

Good news!
Maggie was checked out by a cardiologist and had an echocardiagram. It looks like she has a small Patent Ductus Arteriosus (PDA). It is the most common heart problem in preemie's. Before birth there is a passageway from one blood vessel to another instead of through the lungs. The passageway should close soon after birth but with preemie's often takes longer and with some babies requires surgery. Maggie's should close on it's own with time. They think this could be the cause of the high blood pressure. Today though, her BP has been significantly lower all day! Yay! Hopefully we have crossed that hurdle too.

Both girls have been eating by bottle almost every feed for the last 24 hours and are doing very well. The wonderful nurse/lactation consultant caring for the girls today helped me nurse both girls successfully this afternoon. It was great! The mastitis has had me down all week. I have been very sick! I still don't have much energy but feel much better than I did.

As of last night, Natalie weighs 5.1 and Maggie 5.4!! If they don't get to come home soon they won't get to wear any of the preemie clothes we have for them! The nurse did say today that she bets they will be home within a week. I pray she is right.

After I nursed both girls today I held them both next to one another. Maggie was fussy and as soon as Natalie was next to her she quieted down. She kept looking at Natalie like "Hey, I know you!" We didn't have the camera with us!!! Darn!! They do look different when you look at them side by side but I think it is just that Natalie has a more narrow head, just a preemie look. Maggie is rounder in the head and face and just looks like a little baby. If you have seen many preemie babies then you know what I mean. I bet they really start to look alike in the next couple of weeks since they are getting so close in weight. I will take some more pics this week and post them.

Thank you all for your prayers!! and don't stop yet!!

No comments: